European Cyclists' Federation
ECF is the umbrella federation of the national cyclists’ associations in Europe and beyond.
As project leader for Bike2Work, ECF
is working to raise the status of and to promote recognition of the benefits of cycling for both individuals and society as a whole. ECF has over 70 members in more than 40 countries. Their aim is to get more people cycling more often. Specifically, ECF adopted the following 2020 objectives:
- Cycling has at least doubled to 15% modal share on an average in Europe
- International and national institutions in Europe recognise the value of cycling and incorporate it in all relevant policies
- Investment in cycling at European and national level is at least 10% of transport budgets
- Investment in recreational cycling and tourism is comparable to transport investments
- The rate of ‘cyclists killed or seriously injured per km’ in Europe decreased by 50
ECF is an expert lobbyist at the European level and has close contact with the Conference of Ministers of Transport, the European Parliament and the Commission. They have success in obtaining EU funds and disseminating to their members. They support member groups and stimulate and organise the exchange of information and expertise on bicycle related topics.
ECF has demonstrated this expertise by being a management partner in EU projects: PRESTO "Promoting Cycling for Everyone as a Daily Transport Mode” (Intelligent Energy Europe); LifeCycle inspiring life-long cycling habits (SANCO).