How does it work?
During April and beginning of May the Bike to Work campaign is promoted as an opportunity for employers, city halls and local associations to develop activities and initiatives for people to opt for cycling as a means of transportation to work.
In order to do this, the website of the campaign has a set of toolkits with ideas for activities and initiatives to implement in their cities/organisations; a yearly research is launched showing the obstacles people face to commute to work by bike;challenges are set to citizens to promote the Bike To Work Day, such as "Bring a Colleague on Bike to Work Day", in order to bring one more person to the movement; and at the end they create a compilation of all the activities done around Brazil collected in a map.
What makes it a success?
- Establishing a day a year for the campaign mobilises the people and employers towards that period and has a huge impact on the press;
- Sharing Copy-left toolkits and ideas is key for people to feel part of the campaign and promote it locally;
- Getting into companies through engaged employees is a good strategy, once many employers are still not opened for promoting cycling;
- Promoting activities is the first step for employers to engage into cycling and then preparing their organisations with bicycle infrastructure and services.
Results for 2015:
- More than 1.500 people participated in the campaign and the annual survey;
- The 2015 Video campaign was viewed 20 thousand times and had over 500 shares;
- 69 activities were held in 32 cities and 22 states of Brazil;
- The campaign reached 73 partners at the local and national level to promote the campaign;
- In one month the campaign was mentioned in 67 different media outlets.
More information in Portuguese here.Contact person: