Mit dem Rad zur Arbeit (ADFC)
3 month long motivational competition with nationwide kick-off event and a final award
German Cyclists' Association Club
(Allgemeiner Deutscher Fahrrad-Club) organises an annual
Bike2Work campaign called 'Mit dem Rad zur Arbeit
' from June 1st to August 31st 2015. In 2014 more than 160,000 employees took part in the competition and cycled 21.4 million km, saving 4,2 million kg CO2 emissions!
How does it work?
Employees have the option to participate either individually or as part of a team but must cycle to work for at least 20 days during the 3 months long campaign period. Participants register online and log their cycle the campaign calender. Finally, all participants that cycle to work on minimum of 20 days take part in the end raffle of individual and team prices.
To promote the campaign, Mit dem Rad zur Arbeit uses posters, flyers and the campaign calendar.
What makes it a success?
- It is now a well-known and accepted campaign
- Bike companies support the initiative as sponsors
- Trips can be combined with public transport
- Nationwide kick-off event every year at a grand location (e.g. town hall)
- Strong cooperation partners: AOK, the biggest German health insurance, and ADFC, national cycling advocate
- Online events with informative flyer, CO2 calculator, SMS competition and design contest, e.g. design a pannier and win a folding bike each month!
- Numerous local, regional, local kick-off and final events
Results for 2015:
- According to ADFC about 150,000 people registered and used their bike to get to work.
More information in German here.