Parking management as complementary measure
Companies provide car parking for employees to make access convenient and attractive, but this causes the company high costs. Employees who come by bike do not cause such costs. Therefore, it is logical to levy fees for the use of parking spaces, on the one hand to recover part of the cost and on the other hand to make it more attractive not to come to work by car.
To have paid parking is particularly important when there is also paid parking in the public space surrounding the company - otherwise the company parking lot is often used as a free parking space to avoid the public fee.
The revenue from this parking management can be used to promote cycling measures.
- The level of the parking fees should be on a comparable level with fees for public parking or private garages
- Temporary parking permits should be offered
- Exceptions or cheaper rates for car-pooling
- Incentives for employees who renounce their parking even though they have the right (company bike, public transport subsidy)
- Possibly differentiation of fees according to income
- Establishment of a paid access system (barriers, access cards, control)
- Conversion of no longer needed car parking surfaces for other uses (cycle parking, recreation areas, operational areas)