For good company and good companies only
Besides living in the cycling paradise, the Dutch are known for being great financial planners. Fietsersbond partner in Bike2Work found six legal ways to avoid paying taxes for companies who rather spend their hard earned money on providing bicycle facilities to their employees. These are options for good companies only and they will stimulate good company for those who already cycle.
- Reimbursement for cycling to work: Tax free reimbursement of € 0,19 per kilometre for cycling to work. The tax free part is equal to the reimbursement when you travel by car.
- Reimbursement to facilitate work: Employers may provide up to 2,5 % of the salary costs per annum in tax free equipment to do your work. Bicycles are included.
- Partial reimbursement for purchasing a bicycle to cycle to work. If the 2,5% tax free space is insufficient partial reimbursement of the purchase costs is an option too.
- Tax free and interest free loan: employers may provide personnel with a tax free and interest free loan to buy a bike for cycling to work. The loan can be paid back from the millage reimbursement.
- Lease a bike: Just like cars you can lease a bike to travel to work for your employee’s. Especially interesting for those who cycle longer distances.The development of mobile bike repair services facilitates this idea
- Company bike: instead of providing a company car provide company bike.Allow the employee to cycle home on its company bike and back to work again.
Take your advantage!
The Bike2Work project has developed a website for good companies www.fietsvriendelijkbedrijf.nl (in Dutch): here employers and employees can fill in the form in order to start certification as a cycle friendly employer.
Click here for the more informative paper in Dutch.
And here if you want to know more about the situation in other countries.